L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women and Science Fellowships were awarded. Among the 30 laureates stand two phD students in mathematics: Annalaura Stingo of the Laboratoire Analyse, Géométrie et Applications (CNRS, Univ. Paris-Nord, Univ. Vincennes-Saint-Denis) and Tahina Ralitera of the Laboratoire d’Informatique et de Mathématiques (University of La Réunion). Congratulations!
Stanford University received a gift to establish a graduate fellowship in memory of the mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani, who died in July 2017.
The Maryam Mirzakhani Graduate Fellowship will support graduate students in the Department of Mathematics.
As a donator puts it:
- You can explore various aspects of Gaston Darboux's life and work - mathematics and geometry, but also his political commitment as a scientist - by following the links on this webpage.
- The Institut Henri Poincaré organised a conference in historical sciences about Gaston Darboux on November 17th, 2017.
- The Société de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles (SMAI<
As the Prix D'Alembert meets its 17th edition, the French Mathematical Society (SMF) decided to launch a second award, also amounting to 2000€ and awarded every two years, to encourage innovating actions of mathematical dissemination: the Prix Jacqueline Ferrand.
For both awards, applications run until March 15th, 2018.
The National Institute for Mathematical Sciences and their Interactions (INSMI) of the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), together with the Direction de l’Information des sciences et techniques (DIST) of the CNRS addressed their communities a piece of information regarding the negotiation in process between the Couperin consortium and Springer.
Two actions of the dissemination network AuDiMATH : working groups on writing and a website of videos.
On October 25th, 2017, the building of the Institut de mathématique d'Orsay (IMO) was inaugurated. Emmanuel Macron, President of the Republic, was present. The IMO gathers three types of services :
- the maths laboratory "Laboratoire de mathématiques d'Orsay" (CNRS/Université Paris-Sud),
- teaching facilities,
- the Jacques Hadamard library, which is a reference library in mathematics supported by both CNRS and Université Paris-Sud,
thus yielding a cluster for mathematics.
The highest French scientific distinction, the CNRS Gold Medal was awarded this year to the physicists Alain Brillet and Thibault Damour, for their major contributions to the detection and analysis of gravitational waves. They received this prize during a ceremony at the Collège de France on December 14 , 2017. The two physicists succeed to the mathematician Claire Voisin, winner of the 2016 Gold Medal.